5.02.2010

day 4: still pinching myself

Guys. It still gets me ever time I look out my window. Jerusalem has been exceeding my expectations since I stepped off the plane (and my expectations were pretty high). The sights, the sounds, the classes, the people. But mostly the people. I'm fascinated by them. I just want to sit and watch them for hours. (Well maybe like from behind a one way mirror or something since we can't make eye contact with the men.)

the view from my balcony.

Covet the juicer, Flippa. Covet the juicer.

Maddie, Jillian, Karlee and me. Room 309, baby!
This picture was taken earlier today when we went on the Ramparts Walk.


West side! Strong side!

Lauren, Heather (my new bffl who loves Rummikub almost as much as I do), me, Jillian, and Sabrina

In true Allison form I've been pretty remiss at taking pictures so far. Nevertheless, some things I've been loving about Jeru:
  • The Palestinian boys who attacked us (literally, they threw a rock at my friend Brooke) with merchandise on our walk home from the Old City.
  • The vendors who say "Mormon? BYU? Special price for Mormon!"
  • Dance parties
  • Sacrament meeting in the auditorium overlooking the Old City. Aaaaand my Relief Society president who is a Palestinian convert from Bethlehem who had to sneak into Jerusalem to attend church for a few years. Now that's dedication!
  • Getting up at the crack of dawn to visit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre with all my Greek Orthodox friends. And the kissing! Oh, the kissing!
  • And there is just something about seeing the little Jewish boys growing payot that pulls at my heart strings.
I'll post more soon but right now I need to go read the Old Testament. When in Jerusalem....

5 comments:

  1. wow - this is really cool!

    ps - i lived in the spanish house w/ sabrina 3 years ago. random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pinching myself because I can't believe you are there! great pictures thus far, i feel like you are really capturing the diversity of the place. i would appreciate a few more "people watching" shots, like picture 4 for exmple, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and a few more like pictures 3 and 5 would also be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. coveted the juicer!!!!!!
    ok but not only that but your fabulous life! I am so happy the expectations are exceeding.
    charish those people for me and your RS pres. I love her from afar!(and you)

    ReplyDelete