5.21.2010

there's something in the water...

and it's sewage and dead animals and trash and lots of other gross things. But besides having to wash my face with bottled water Egypt was a blast! (a 120 degree blast)
want to ride my camel for lots of $?
I have a boyfriend.
but he's thousands of miles away!
I rode one.
Islam the tour guide. "Do you believe zus? Yes or not?"
here comes the sun and I say it's alright.
conquering my vertigo to experience the Sinai sunrise. totally worth it.
what I gained:
  • a papyrus scroll with my family name on it (or future family name on it? am i being too optimistic here people?)
  • confidence in my haggling abilities
  • a greater respect for the ancient Egyptians and their ability to make some killer sculptures and artwork
  • a keens tan line
  • skepticism that anyone will ever do anything nice for free (including taking your picture)
  • a stamp in my passport
  • lots of ticket stubs that I might scrapbook later but will probably just end up collecting dust in the corner of a drawer somewhere until I can finally part with them in a few years. I always have such good intentions.
  • some leftover Egyptian pounds (what am I going to do with these things?)
  • a new family
  • a stronger testimony of the fullness of the gospel
what I lost:
  • a pair of pants
  • a flashlight
  • one flip-flop
yes, that's one item at every hotel.

7 comments:

  1. More than the sphinx's nose is going to be broken when I get a hold of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool girl, and can i just say that your hair looks so great in those sphinx photos; no wonder he fell for you. ps my goal this summer is to comment on every single post you make. I cannot promise that my comments will be related to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, It looks like your having so much fun. What an Experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I love:
    1. Your haggling skills
    2. keens tan lines (or tan lines in general)
    3. Stamps in passports!!!!(ugh i love them sooo much!)
    4. You!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. "The Hunger Games" is all the rage. But i think of you. I read it this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. errrghhh it sucks to use bottled water for everything. but now i'm so much better at conserving water now that i know how much i use to brush my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. more pictures please.
    you look great.
    and I can't wait to watch the epic adam vs. the sphinx showdown.

    ReplyDelete